EWG just released their Healthy Guide to Cleaners and the list was shocking to say the least. I honestly can’t, at this point, say that I’m fully on board with their list, because some of it seemed wonky to me.
Still, if you trust EWG’s opinions unquestionably, below is a list of what they say you should be using to clean your home…
*Note all of these cleaners scored a grade of A, or otherwise, the safest score possible at EWG. This said, if I can personally recommend the cleaner as safe AND as a cleaner that really works (meaning yes, I’ve used and liked it) I’ll put a little * by it.
The only two safest kitchen cleaners
- Whole Foods Market green MISSION Organic All-Purpose Spray Cleaner & Degreaser, Lemon Zest – only in stores.
- Greenshield Organic All-Purpose Cleaner
The only three safest all-purpose bathroom cleaners
- Greenshield Organic Bathroom Cleaner
- CLR Calcium, Lime, Rust Cleaner
- Seventh Generation Tub & Tile Cleaner, Emerald Cypress & Fir – *I like this okay, but baking soda and scrubbing works just as well IMO.
5 of the safest laundry soaps
- Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda
- Green Shield Organic Laundry Detergent Lavender
- Seventh Generation Powder Laundry Concentrated, Free and Clear - *I’ve used and like this.
- Ecover Non-Chlorine Bleach Powder - *I’ve used and like this.
- Seventh Generation Powder Laundry Concentrated, Real Citrus and Wild Lavender – *I’ve used this and it’s fine, but too expensive.
The one and only top-rated safe fabric softener
- Green Shield Organic Fabric Softener, Lavender Mint – too bad it’s the only safest one, because it’s been discontinued.
5 of the safest air fresheners
- Aussan Natural Nursery Odor Eliminator
- Aura Cacia Aromatherapy Mist Tea Tree
- Aura Cacia Sensual Jasmine, Precious Essentials, Aromatherapy Spritz
- Aura Cacia Peppermint Harvest Aromatherapy Mist
- Aura Cacia Purifying Sandalwood, Precious Essentials, Aromatherapy Spritz
The only two safest toilet bowl cleaners
- Green Shield Organic Toilet Cleaner
- Seventh Generation Toilet Bowl Cleaner, Emerald Cypress & Fir Scent – *This one I actually highly recommend (read my review)
The only four safest dish washing detergents
- The Honest Co. honest auto dishwasher gel, free & clear
- Seventh Generation Auto Dish Pacs, Free and Clear – *These work great but are expensive.
- Seventh Generation Automatic Dishwasher Powder, Free & Clear – This is expensive and DOES NOT work well IMO. It’s so bad I refuse to link it, but feel free to give it a whirl if you’re so inclined.
- Green Shield Organic Auto Dish Detergent
The ONE and only safe hand dish washing liquid
- Whole Foods Market liquid dish soap, unscented – in store only.
5 of the safest all-purpose cleaners
- Heinz Distilled White Vinegar – *Used it, it works, but I hate the smell. I mask it in homemade cleaners with essential oils.
- Dr. Bronner – Sal-Suds Biodegradable Cleaner
- Dr Bronners Organic Castile Liquid Soap Peppermint
- Aussan Natural All Purpose Cleaner Nursery
- Dr. Bronner’s Magic Soaps Pure-Castile Soap, 18-in-1 Hemp Unscented Baby Mild
The only three safest cleaners for furniture
- Earth Friendly Products Eco Breeze, Fabric Refresher, Lemongrass - *I love this stuff. It’s AWESOME! And not expensive!
- LA’s Totally Awesome Power Oxygen Base Cleaner
- Martha Stewart Clean Wood Floor Cleaner
If what you’re going for is the safest of the safest cleaners and you’re using the EWG list, your choices are fairly limited. They rated over 2,000 products and just 73 scored an A.