Happy Valentine’s Day!
I don’t celebrate Valentine’s Day too much, but if you do, I hope you’re enjoying some Fair Trade chocolate and other sweet times today. If you want to go all out, why not send the earth (or someone else) a Valentine with some green action steps…
- Make a last-minute eco-friendly Valentine’s Day card for someone you adore. You know you have time before your special someone comes home from work.
- Make it a goal to eat three healthy and greener meals each week. It’s not a lot of work, but this is a small change that can improve your family’s health and help keep the planet healthy at the same time.
- Send Hershey or another conventional candy company a little informative Valentine. Tell them you don’t support child labor and you won’t support them either until they knock off their unethical practices.
- If you’re going out tonight, or any night this week, consider leaving the car at home and take more emission-friendly public transportation or even (gasp) your bikes. Not dating much? Make the kids walk to school. It’s not THAT cold and they’ll be healthier for it, plus you get to save on gas.
- Ditch plastic water bottles this Valentine’s Day. It’s easier than you think and so much better for the earth.
- Hit the cleaning closet and toss out every single toxic cleaner you own. Not much fun, but way awesome for the earth and your kids. To reward yourself, head to the store and pick out some greener cleaners.
- For an after school snack, surprise your kids with heart shaped organic pretzels and Fair Trade organic hot chocolate.
- Tonight, turn off the TV and computers. Play a board game or go on an evening walk with your family instead. Less power-use, more family time. Win-win.
- After family time, put the kids to bed, break open a bottle of organic wine or bubbly (that you of course picked up earlier today) and hang with your partner.