March is National Nutrition Month! Better yet, 2013 marks the 40th anniversary of National Nutrition Month.
This annual event was designed by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics and the goal is to focus on helping families and individuals make smarter, healthier food choices. This year’s theme is “Eat Right, Your Way, Every Day,” which encourages personalized healthy eating styles and recognizes that food preferences, lifestyle, cultural and ethnic traditions and health concerns all impact individual food choices.
In celebration of this, take a look at some helpful tips surrounding healthy and eco-friendly eating…
Eat more healthy foods
- 10 Basic Principles for Greener and Healthier Family Meals
- Tips for raising a healthy and green eater from birth
- Green cooking with kids: teaching eco-friendly skills in the kitchen
- Make the most of shopping at the local farmers’ market
Avoid the bad stuff!
- Avoid GMOs without having to go 100% organic
- Go organic without going insane
- Excuses about healthy meals costing more time & money are bunk
- Avoid fake food coloring
Green & healthy meal ideas
- 10 Delicious & Healthy Cookbooks
- Vegetarian Meals for Meat Lovers (or Reluctant Vegetarians)
- Healthy & Eco-Friendly School Lunch Food Ideas
- 18 Green & Healthy Cookbook Ideas
Healthy snacks for kiddos
- Homemade Organic Cran-Strawberry Roll-Ups
- Homemade Organic Applesauce
- Homemade Organic Goldfish Crackers
- Homemade Organic Honey Oat Bread
- Homemade Organic Raspberry Bars
- CLIF Kid Organic ZBaR
- Find healthy food games for your kids at Eat Right.
- Get healthy food and activity tips at Let’s Move!
- Read all about healthy kids and the growing obesity epidemic at Healthy Kids & Family.