Sprig Toys founders Chris Clemmer and David Bowen kicked off BeginAgain in small steps this summer, but now the new company is coming into its own and their incredible toy workshop is open for business. BeginAgain started with the acquisition of the eco-friendly toy company, ImagiPLAY and will contunue to build on ImagiPLAY’s past toy successes while expanding their goals of sustainable materials and toys with integrity.
Safe & Green Toy Rules
BeginAgain, notes, “BeginAgain is a creative mix of old timey storytelling and responsibly crafted invention.” Their mission is, “To tell stories through toys, to teach through play, and to invent in partner with the planet.” In general, BeginAgain believes that toy makers should follow some simple rules:
- Toys don’t need batteries or electronics to be fun. Kid-powered is best.
- Toy makers should collaborate, share and build partnerships.
- Keep oil and other icky materials out of children’s toys – use plant based materials when possible and always reduce and recycle.
Materials that BeginAgain is investigating include:
- Natural rubber
- Natural cotton fabrics
- Sustainable wood
- 100% recycled plastic
- Wheat starch based plastic
Type of Toys Available
The BeginAgain workshop if full of toys based on inspiration from Benjamin Barlowe. Barlowe believed that children engage in 5 distinct styles of play and BeginAgain toys are created with these play styles in mind, including the following toy categories.
- A – is for the artist. Creative arts, music toys and more.
- W – is for the writer. Role play and character play sets.
- I – is for the inventor. Learning games, exploration kits, construction and science fun.
- S – is for the sportster. Outdoor toys, sporting games, ride-ons and more.
- H – is for the hero. Heros, adventures, action figures and wheels fun.
- B – is for the beginner. Toys that help with fine motor skills like grabbing, stacking and pushing.
Beyond green toy ethics, BeginAgain also gives 1% back to the community. Plus, and this is awesome, BeginAgain offers very affordable green toy prices, so that all kids and their families can have greener, safer and fun toys.
Right now there is a minimal amount of toys available, but as the company grows, they’ll be adding even more fun toy choices. For example they have an awesome looking scooter on the way in 2012!