The cosmetic use of herbs, flowers and other plants is common throughout many cultures and ages. However, just because herbs, flowers and plants are natural, doesn’t mean they’re always safe.
Before using flowers or herbs as ingredients in a homemade beauty product, check out the following safety tips.
- Use organic herbs and flowers whenever possible. One huge perk of DIY beauty products is you get to avoid all the chemicals used in traditionally manufactured products, so why use flowers or herbs grown with pesticides?
- Know your herbs and flowers before you use them. Get a good guidebook so you can recognize the subtle differences between various herbs and flowers.
- If you grow yourself, grow organic and clearly label the plants both while they’re growing and after you pick them.
- Using the wrong herb in a body care product could be bad news if you’re allergic. Read Homemade Organic Beauty Safety Basics to learn about how to do a dab test.
- Herbs and flowers work slower than essential oils because they’re less potent, depending on how much you boil them down. If you create a homemade product that also has healing properties you may think it’s not working, so you’ll use more than you need, but it just may take longer to work than products made with essential oils. Also, it may take longer for an allergic reaction to appear, so seriously, always do a dab test.
Also read: Organic Essential Oil Safety & Buying Guide
Image©kerdkanno via Pixabay