There are many reasons to pack a homemade lunch for your child. School lunches have been found time and time again to be heavy on packaging waste and not very healthy besides. However, with the news that most home packed lunches are packed incorrectly, you do need to pack your child’s waste-free lunch safely. And for that, you’ll need a nice insulated lunch bag.
First of all read the following:
- 10 easy steps to a packed waste-free school lunch
- How to safely pack a lunch and keep it the correct temperature
- How to choose a waste-free lunch box for back-to-school
Below are some top picks for safe, insulated home packed lunch bags that are also eco-friendly. Oh, and remember, just because a bag is insulated, doesn’t mean it’ll stay cold enough. You’ll also need a decent collection of ice packs:
1. GreenSmart Margay Lunch Case – This bag is insulated and all fabrics used for the GreenSmart Bottles 2 Bags are derived from certified 100% post-consumer recycled PET water and soda bottles. GreenSmart also makes a more tote-friendly GreenSmart Javan Lunch Tote.
2. reuseit 100% Made in USA Insulated Zipper-Top Lunch Bag, Large, Berry/Charcoal – This popular insulated lunch bag, includes a zipper around the top for a roomy, rectangular-shaped carrier. Each bag is made with fair labor in the USA and insulates hot or cold food & beverage for hours. 100%-recycled insulation, BPA, phthalates and lead free. This bag is pretty large and holds a lot of food, for an older kid with a bigger appetite or plus it can hold a decent sized water bottle. The bag is from a 1% For the Planet company and backed by the a lifetime guarantee.
3. Built Gourmet Getaway Lunch Tote – Insulation provides insulation for up to four hours (more igf you add a couple of ice packs) and is machine-washable. Features a sturdy zip closure and soft-grip handles. Will stretch to accommodate a lot of food and comes in really cool designs and some solid colors too.
4. PackIt Freezable Lunch Bag – Packit is a freezable lunch cooler designed to keep contents cooler, longer – up to 10-hours. The bag feature a patented eco-gel permanently built into liner, though, again, I’d add an ice pack to be safe. PVC/BPA and lead free and non-toxic.
5. Dabbawalla Eco-Friendly Lunch Bag – Not just insulated, these bags come in an array of adorable styles that kids will love. Bags are stain resistant, machine washable, CPSIA-certified and free of lead and PVC. Plus Oeko-Tex 100 dyes are used for color.
6. The Four Peas Insulated Lunch Bag features an interior mesh pocket that works well for lunch utensils or a cloth napkin. The interior fits reusable lunch containers and even a small water bottle. PVC and lead-free, also free of phthalates & BPA (certified CPSIA compliant). This bag, looks-wise reminds me of the bags from Citizenpip (who sadly may be going out of business – or so I’ve heard). Designs available listed below…
7. Skip Hop Zoo Lunchie Insulated Lunch Bag – It doesn’t get much cuter than this! ZOO LUNCHIES are fun, BPA-free and phthalate-free, plus sized perfectly for younger kids. Insulated to keep food warm or cold, this bag included a roomy main compartment that holds sandwiches, snacks, drinks and more, along with an inside mesh pocket to hold lunch money, an ice pack or utensils. Fun matching zipper-pulls and write-on name tag included. So many cute animal designs, your child will flip.
8. Sugarbooger Classic Lunch Sack – These bags are insulated laminated cotton canvas with fun designs and a hook-and-loop closure, interior card for ID information and a convenient handle strap. Non-toxic and lead-free.
9. Kids Konserve Insulated Lunch Sack is made from 8 plastic water bottles and is fully insulated. There’s an inside pocket for ice pack, cloth napkin or cutler and the entire bag is free of BPA, phthalates, PVC and lead. Four designs available, listed below…
You may also be interested in reading: